Sunday, August 21, 2005

one of the days...

neurological rotation, hadnt meet the consultant yet coz i was sick on monday. around 9am, went to join our doctor doing lumbar puncture a.ka amik air tulang belakang. me n my partner stood at the edge of the bed & observed him doing the procedures. for the 1st timer, i braved my soul for this as i wasnt fancy of anything to do with the spine...hmm, it didnt go well & took longer time than expected. the doctor was up to his 3rd attempt & that poor lady had involuntary jerks twice coz the needle hit the nerves..that sudden reactions got me. lightheaded, running heartbeat & cold hands...fortunately(or unfortunately?), i've had similar experiences 4 years ago & i knew i was about to faint . recited selawat & hoped to feel better. it wasnt long tho coz i decided to leave the room. went to the toilet & looked into the mirror. pucat gile muka. pakai pulak tudung putih. tried not to panic, i sat down & waited for it to settle a bit. after a glass of water, sneaked into the room again but left after a few minutes. heh, still lightheaded:((

the doctor gave up after his 3rd attempt & called for anaesthetist to re-perfom the lumbar puncture. it was after half an hour when he came & i decided to give myself another chance. alhamdulillah, with selawat & some doa, i managed to watch the whole procedures, tho there were times when i looked elsewhere but the patient's back... but i'm pretty sure i was a-ok by then.

the consultant. after introducing myself, stood next to him while waiting for the rest of the team. so when he turned to me and ask..
'are you alright?'
i was stunned. the next thing i said
'yeah, er why?' ( cant think of anything more decent to say)
but after that, i told him briefly about the incidence. ohh well, small gestures never fail to touch my heart=)

yup, i've had similar experiences with i-am-about-to-faint years ago while doing CAS in IB course. twice with the 1st one i could even see the polka-dot black & white before my eyes.. but for both occasions, my defenses were lacking breakfast (or literally hungry :p) & strained too much. and for a few times being in the theatre room this year, i did ok...so maybe this was just one of the days...

another story altogether, in dr Botha's. heheh, he always feed us with non-medico-stories before the tutes. so this time it was about his daughter who failed to impress him after 8 years of piano lessons.he claimed she's not putting her effort in it & decided to be critical on her...as usual, everyone had their say & we had mixed response. critical vs diplomatic mostly..for my turn
me: yup, i would be critical..
him: are you (my name)? you would be critical? did your parents be critical on you?
me: ohh no they are not, but i would for my child.. (hmmm come to think of this again, they are critical in diff way,hehe)

later i continued " i agree with (my other fren's name)..i mean it depends on her effort. if she really put much effort but still couldnt do best, i wouldnt really mind but if not, then i'll be critical" then i let the rest do their talking..

"i like you, (my name). you are strict. and also (my 2 male frens' names)..bla bla bla"
errk hehehe, i think i'm being plain honest here...its either all or nothing ;)

No comments: