Saturday, April 21, 2007

Taste of pre-intern year

i arrived home (in Melb) around mid-day of sunday. suffice to say, the journey ended up with 15hours of total, instead of the usual 7 hours.

i failed to get up at 5am the following morning (what do u expect? it's 3am msian time and i'm knackered out) and one test after another. missed the bus, mistaken the bus's monthly pass for something else in my purse, penniless. courtesy of the bus driver, i reached BH. but it's not the end. vascular surgical team was very fine, only that the resident (one level above intern position) was quite nasty. i was scolded for being unsure of how to write the notes in medical files(i'm sorry miss, but today's actually my very FIRST DAY in BH, my very FIRST DAY as final year meds in melb, my very FIRST DAY in your unit..and even if u think i'm dumb, u can talk to me nicely, thank you..well, actually..u reminded me of future experience in msia ) one look after another, i chose not to edge. my gratitude to the registra(position above resident) and fellow(position above registra, below surgeon) for making it up by treating me, the usual manner any medical student should receive.

as i walked away from hosp, i patted my back for braving the day. unedged. very much tired from all the walk (40 mins total), bus ride (60 mins total), hosp hour (9 hours) and tormented soul. even so, i prayed that night for the next day to be better.

it became so. tried hard not to step on the resident's shoes but at the same time, improving myself. 5am (3am msia time, remember?) had been my wake-up time for the rest of the week. meals all over the place as i only went into the kitchen for water, not cooking. prayed every morning that my day will be eased and everynight for all the strength and blessings given to me.

4 days of hard job for me. tough maintenance. nevertheless, unedged n prayed.

but i was rewarded justly by HIM on friday. scrubbed in and assisted in carotid endarterectomy (open up blood vessels in the neck to take out plaque or else it'll flow into the brain and cause stroke-yes, thats for u SMOKER and high fat dieter). the fellow and me, my name in the operation notes. again, that look from the resident but i care no more. deep inside, i know she's doing me a good favour. to be a tough cookie.

i am the FISH.

***********
him, who reminded me to pray hard and not to be too negative.

her, who teaches me to talk to ALLAH every morning and night...seeking HIS help and thanking HIM for all the grace.

my brother, who reminded that when the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

my mum, who wants me to make full use of doa' as the ultimate help.

her, who promised to keep her prayers with me.

her, who assure me that things are tough but they'll get better so need to hang in there.

i thank them.

No comments: