Tuesday, November 13, 2007

TRANSITION

This is it. THE change. destination and social position-wise.

While ppl may think that i'm exaggerating to express my anxiety over the thought of going/coming back to home country for good..i do not need to justify to anyone. i'm aware of certain protocols and attitude (or the lack of it) that i will be facing through in the near future, whether i like it or not. one thing for sure, i need to keep patience and tolerance at my best.

If i want to give extra credits to my university for the course, it would be the Patient Safety Module and Back To Base experiences. both gave me great insight and to an extent, inspiration of what my working life's gonna be. during the patient safety days, we deal a lot with simulated critical situation when all the practical hints and skills were put into practise in a safe environment but enough adrenaline rush to kickstart our brain and teamwork performance. we had influx of reminders and recommendation about patient identification, drug handling, procedures and a few other human factor issues that mostly will help us go through next year. from time to time, we were fed with tricks and traps from the senior colleagues who have accumulated enough experience over the years.

Back To Base was all about consolidation of being a final year student and introduction to internship. summary on common stuff is highly appreciated- blood test, airway management, ECG, ABG, CXR, electrolytes and BSL management to name a few. great effort to see how far we've come since 5 years ago and how further ahead we've got in this profession. it's heart-warming to hear pearls of wisdom from those who made it to the top and assuring too. you can contradict me in this but there's more in life than monetary rewards and recognition. it's called passion and personal value; something not everyone share the same definition with each other. another note; while a lot expressed the concerns about how bad it's gonna be next year, being positive is always a good practise. don't get too messed up thinking what we're gonna do if we screwed up cause it's almost like we anticipate the bad event. it's ok to give ourselves some credits and work from there. It's not too much to say that after all the sweet concise summary & take home points from each speaker, i was actually looking forward to start working. thanks to M0nash for providing us with the priviledge of preparing ourselves to the next step in medicine during our last week of undergraduate instead of racing our heartbeat up with exams. well done!
In short, our life is in our hand. to make it meaningful or not.

Retrospectively,

I could not remember saying anything other than want to become a doctor when i was small, my mum said i was always the one who attended to my dad's blood and bruises. At the same time, i still lead the typical childhood like any other kampung girl would. I did not give much thought about the so-called ambition then, it was more like a courteous answer.

Even when i started my high school, i did not come firm about what i'll be doing in the future. I studied sensibly and spend more time in front of the TV and got noticed by wardens for being loud, hence sitting right at the front of the high table during formal dinner. The only good things i'd probably be doing was as the member of PBSM and PRS, otherwise i was just a little mischief in the school together with the rest. I did not believe in staying up late at night to study and i did not set any aim for SPM, i just wanted to do well. For all i knew, matriculation would be the next step in life and by then, i did not give any definitive answer to my future career. I was pretty devastated because my name wasn't shortlisted for the early intake of matriculation before SPM results was out.

I say my gratitude to HIM for my SPM results. Even then, i was still a bit clueless and ready to take up anything. I contemplated to take up the Telecom scholarship to do IT and at the same time applying for matriculation via UPU with UIA as the preference. I had JPA scholarship form un-filled in my holder at home up until now because my mum thought maybe i shuld just stay in the country as two of my brothers had completed their degree oversea and she wasn't ready for mine. I was called up twice for MARA interview but again i respected my mum's words. I did not have any problem with my mum's wish suprisingly, i was happy for anything at that point. It never crossed my mind to study abroad, to be honest with you.

The first turning point was my UPU result. I didn't get the expected answer regarding matriculation through the line, I was soo dumbfounded that i had to call the line so many times until i realised i need to wait till the end of the voice machine to hear '...oversea programme'. The next turning point was a day before the actual MARA interview (they shortlisted the candidates so i did not actually applied for this one too) when my eldest brother called up my mum and he said something about apples on the tree (I'd rather not go into details because i did not want to offend anyone). My mum gave a second thought and off we went to KL for the interview. As impromptu as it could be, i went into the interview room pretty much at the same state i was before SPM, easy for anything. One thing i could remember during the interview was that i did not know the name of Kelantan's sultan and how many districts they were in the state. urgh!

Alhamdulillah, i was offered to do International Baccalaureate(IB) in KMB and from then on decided medicine then is.

No comments: